Thursday, November 15, 2007

New Recommended Resource

I'm on the lookout for new resources to help externally focused churches, especially resources that not only share practical strategies, but inspiration for the journey as well. I came across a new gem last month. Baylor University is publishing a journal through their School of Social Work and Center for Family and Community Ministries. While it is an academic journal, I was quite pleased to see an eclectic style in the writing and genre of articles. It includes research along with inspirational pieces and faith in action articles about volunteers and churches doing ministry in the trenches of community. Curling up with this journal in the evening a nice oasis in the middle of the day. Not only was I inspired by the work of a pastoral counselor in Chicago with abused and battered women (pg 41), I found moments of meditation through poetry and pictures (pg 45 & 46). Of course, I was also challenged to consider how Diana Garland's research on Family Life of Baptists might affect my own ministry, family life and resource development path. Kudos to Baylor for putting together this quarterly piece. It's good for the head and the heart. For subscription information, visit www.baylor.edu/fcm_journal.

No comments: