Friday, March 27, 2009

My Favorite Church People

Just before Dan Kimball released his book, They like Jesus but not the Church, I heard him speak at a conference workshop. I was on staff at a church and I left the workshop totally agreeing with Dan. I, too, like Jesus--love him in fact. And, I don't like the church. Crap.

But, over the last several years God has graciously expanded my small view of church to a larger vision of HIS Church. All these interviews with church leaders are starting to change me and I think I like the church now, too! I'm starting a list of my favorite church people. These are not renegades who follow the beat of a different drummer. These are church people--people who have grown up in church, who work in or with churches and who graciously serve God with their lives in their cities. They haven't written books, made movies and aren't all celebrities like Hybels, Graham or Warren. They are rarely keynote speakers at all the big "churchy" conferences, but they have so enriched my walk of faith with their stories of transformation, brokenness, and restoration. I thank them for giving me the opportunity to join their company and fellowship for a while during interviews over the phone or chats over coffee.

My Favorite Church People
Don Simmons, Creative Potential, Fresno, CA
Tricia Richardson, Columbia, SC
Eli Morris, Hope Pres, Memphis, TN
Laurie Beshore, Mariners Church, Irvine, CA
Mark Stearns, PCA, Hunstville, AL
Omar Reyes,Northwood Church, Keller, TX

I have every confidence that God will continue to lengthen this list over the years and I will passionately love Jesus and His Church.

No comments: