Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Thoughts on Following Closely

In my red letters study, in John 1:47, Jesus is calling more disciples to follow him. He says this of Nathanael, "Behold, an Israelite indeed, in whom there is no deceit!"

Made me wonder what Jesus would say OF me.

Like most people, I do care what others think and say of me. Do I care what Jesus thinks and says of me? What do I want Jesus to say of me? I'm not sure I've given enough thought to the conversation between the Father, Son and Holy Spirit about my life, my choices, my actions (or my inaction). Am I giving them something to talk about?

I like where to conversation goes from there between Nathanael and Jesus. When Nathanael decides to go all and become a follower, Jesus says, "You ain't seen nothing yet!" OK, I'm paraphrasing a bit there, but it is essentially what Jesus promises to Nathanael. Jesus actually said, "You believe because I told you I saw you under the fig tree. You shall see greater things than that." He then added, "I tell you the truth, you shall see heaven open, and the angels of God ascending and descending on the Son of Man."

What happens next? Jesus does his first miracle: turning water into wine.

Am I following Jesus closely enough to see his miracles? Miracles are happening around us everyday. Not sure miracles happen today? I'm not so sure they happen in the church, either. But I do know they happen outside of the church walls every day. Follow Jesus closely into places of poverty and injustice. Follow Jesus closely as he cares for today's widows and orphans. He LOVES to reveal himself in those places with those people. You'll see miracles there.

Maybe you are a late adopter...someone else needs to tell you about these modern-day miracles before you go and see for yourself. (Some of the disciples needed that kind of convincing). I highly recommend reading Same Kind of Different as Me by Ron Hall and Denver Moore. It's all about a modern miracles, restoration, and sacrifice--in Fort Worth, Texas.

No comments: